So, I got two new diapers in the mail today: a bright orange One Size Fuzzi Bunz, and a chocolate colored Knickernappies. I can't tell you how excited I was! I'm way too excited over these cloth diapers! I really wanted to get some pretty girl colors but I already have two pink diapers and one lavender and I don't want to have to start from scratch when we have a boy so I'll have to stop there. Well, for now at least.
My first impressions of the diapers are these:
1) They both have very soft fleece inside. That's what I love so much about my Happy Heiny's. Granted, it does pill when you wash it but it's still softer than whatever's inside the bumGenius and Smartipants.
2) I know I'm supposed to prewash them before using them for the best absorbancy, but I just can't resist using them as is so that she can have that amazing, soft, untouched fleece against her baby skin. I'll take the consequences if they leak.
3) Fuzzi Bunz are REALLY HARD to adjust. They do not have a row of snaps on the rise, but instead elastics in the legs and waist that you adjust by pulling to different button holes. Their website has a general chart you can start with to tell you which number button hole you should use for legs and waist when your child is a specific size, but it's a guess at most. I had her on the changing table for a full five minutes or more getting that thing sized. But, now that it's sized I know I won't have to re-size it for a while. All the work I did to get it just so may be worth it in the end. We´ll see.
4) Fuzzi Bunz are hard to snap shut. They have THREE different snaps and it takes a while finding where to snap them. Granted, I've only used the diaper once and it may grow on me through time, but for right now I'm not the biggest fan.
5) I like that knickernappies have an elastic on the waist for both the outer PUL fabric and the inner fleece. On the Happy Heinys and Fuzzi Bunz the fleece just flops around at the pocket opening and you have to shove it in the diaper opening when you put it on. However, the elastic in the fleece lining makes it difficult to fish out the insert when the diaper is soiled.
6) I bought the more expensive version of the knickernappies becuase I wanted to try their combination fleece/hemp insert. It's supposedly trimmer and more absorbent to help babies sleep at night. It awaits to be seen. IT doesn't look that much trimmer to me, but maybe that will come with washing it.
I´ll do a more formal post on these diapers once I;ve used them for awhile. For now I´m just excited to add two more to my stash. That makes 19 now!!!
For the next paycheck, I want to try the Rocky Mountain diapers. Then, maybe I'll get another Happy Heinys or another Knickernappies if I really like them.